Sunday, October 3, 2010

Baby It's Cold Outside: Dean Martin

When a song is as popular as Baby It's Cold Outside, you need a "control" to help you in your later reviews. A control is the norm, the version that comes to mind when you hear the title. For me the control of Baby It's Cold Outside is Dean Martins original version. This goes against my general philosophy of choosing the King of Christmas, Mr. Bing Crosby, and even my personal Queen of Christmas, Martina McBride who was overdubbed to duet with Dean Martin. However, Dean's original version stands out the best for me for 1 huge reason.
This song as most people know is a conversation that takes place after a date between the two individuals. To me Dean Martin's voice and his partner's voice team up for a perfect pair of conversational voices while still singing. I am able to be swept away and envision myself as Dean himself. To me that is the power of this song. By far one of my favorites, and one of the all time classics. Give it a listen and let me know what you think.

-SLB

No comments:

Post a Comment